Monday, September 11, 2006

Where I Was & Reflections (9/11)

I know I will be able to tell people for the years "where I was on Sept. 11, 2001" just like our parents and grandparents have been doing for the Kennedy Assassination. Here--as briefly as I can--I'll outline where I was and what I did. I'll close with some reflections pertinent to the day and to my situation.

7:30ish A.M. (CDT)
I wake up from bed and for the first time all year, I turn on the TV to NBC's Today. I guess it was to help me wake up better. I go take a shower and as I come back from the shower, I hear Matt Lauer talking about a plane that has hit the WTC. I think something along the lines of "that's not good" but I quickly get ready to meet Amanda at breakfast. As I'm putting on my sandals to leave, I'm putting them on directly in front of the TV. And then the second plane hits the other tower; Lauer confirms that a second plane has struck the tower and he concludes what we were already thinking "This is obviously not a random event anymore."

8:15ish A.M.
I'm late meeting Amanda for breakfast (which is not unusual for me); I tell her what all has happened. We eat and try to absorb as much of the implications as we can. She goes to class, I go back to the dorm. I go to one of the four-man rooms on our floor to see if my friends have heard; only one of them was awake and was in the shower, so I turn on their TV for them. As we sit watching the events, the first tower falls (which was the second one struck). Awe. Inspiring. I watch in their room until Greek class at 9:30.

9:30ish A.M.
I go to Greek class and there is already a TV in the room and of course coverage of the events is showing. The other tower falls while we watch and one classmate slams his hand to the table in anger. Dr. Flatt calmly and respectfully asks us to turn it off for a moment so that we can have class. The first vocabulary word in our daily "treat" (quiz) is the Greek word for "peace." Very thoughtful teacher; no different on this momentous day.


10:30 A.M.
Daily chapel. Dr. Steve Johnson had already put together a prayer and scripture service with thoughts reflecting on the horrible events of the day. I know there were several specific prayers offered: for the vicitims and their families, for our nation, and for the enemies. Probably the best chapel during my time at FHU.



Reflections:

(1) Why was I so eager to tell Amanda, my friends, and others the bad news if they hadn't heard yet? I would be much more successful in teaching others if I carried the good news with the same urgency I carried the bad news on that day.

(2) Some of the most touching moments of that day involved patriotic stances. "United we stand" was a regular phrase of comfort. In thinking about the political climate since 9/11, I sometimes wonder if we ever were united, even on that horrible day. Maybe we all agreed that we shouldn't dishonor those who unknowingly or knowingly gave their lives by bickering and drawing political lines, but I think we remained divided because we were divided before and have been since. One event--even as horrible as it was--can't cause us to agree on political, philosophical, ideological, or moral divides. The smoke of that day covered much more than
the streets of New York, Washington, and Pennsylvania.

(3) The only way we can acheive true peace--worldwide, nationwide, or otherwise--is through Christ. We've grown so used to hearing that idea that we forget how true it is. The only way to solve the problem highlighted in #2 above is to address the problem in #1. Christ is the answer; we must do our part to get Him to those who need Him.

No comments: